Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dakshina Chitra, Chennai, Tamil Nadu...almost a month after my arrival here!

I think its about time I began to reflect back in the three weeks I have spent here so far. I arrived in Chennai around June 24th, really nervous and anticipating where I was heading. I had never done an internship in and around India and have only spent time vacationing and spending time with my relatives. This time the trip was of a different specie. I spent mere hectic three weeks visiting and touching Delhi, Noida, Gwalior, finally Ahmadabad, and now all seems so far away now that August is approaching. I did not even realize where my vacation went. Now, I am currently working for Mrs. Deborah Thiagrajen, who is the president of Dakshina Chitra as well as the Madras Craft Foundation (my office in Besant Nagar). www.dakshinachitra.net
In three weeks, I have become somewhat comfortable with my surroundings considering that yesterday I explored three shops: Nilgiri's, Spencer's, and More to acquire material for cooking at the guest house. Now remembering back, I still remember my first night in the guest house. I had never had an entire apartment for myself and for that too, two months. I arrived with things not working, for example, the fridge was dying, the bathroom flush faultering, and so on. I guess, before I talk of my life style here. I should mention my purpose of being in Chennai. I am currently working on three exciting projects. One of them is editing an ex-IIT Professor, S.S. Swaminathan's book on Mahaballipuram, working on an education booklet for children to see the Mahaballipuram, and finally working on collecting information for an art database website. I have now become familiar with the Besant Nagar Beach or better known as Elliot's beach, where I have had fried fish atleast 3 times, tried small and normal crabs, and prawns. I usually work three times a week, while two days of the week I have decided to work from home.
Its been a month since my arrival in Chennai and beyond these projects, I am thinking of creating something to show my understanding of Chennai. Perhaps a photo book in the next month, which captures the life of T N. Sorry, I sound so colloquial! In any case, the first week of mine was spent in Dakshina Chitra. There were sprinkles of Hindi-speaking people found in the center and I made two really nice friends, Sanjeev and Preetam, who helped me settle into the life here and educated me with the ins and outs of Chennai. It was also the time when I realized how much I miss home and how much luxury there is in the States or even London. For example, maintenance has never been issue in the States but here, one has to call the plumber/electrician 4-5 times before the work is really done. However, now that I am reflecting on it, I think thats what makes India interesting and special. Its because as much as its progressing and its gradually becoming a global power, but because of the vastness of population and lack of resources, it will be another 100 years before it reaches the status of America and London. I also went to Mahaballipuram with the other intern, Kiran, who is also as helpful and really fun to be with. I should start posting photographs of Chennai and taking some more.
So far and overall, I have learned and am beginning to question two things. 1) the first is more general and more work-related, I was looking through the basis for Dakshina Chitra and its roots and how much it took to launch this extravagant cultural center 2) the second is that underlying conflict/discord between North and South? There is really no need for it. We are all Indians at the end of the day, sometimes, it really troubles me that cultures have this perception that their country is the best to which I have no issue and being a global citizen, I guess I can only call the world mine without the artificial boundaries, which were created by us human beings to further increase the distance and distinctions between people. For example, Tamil is the official language in Chennai, which I respect. When I was taking this workshop about National Folklore, this was one of the most underlying conflicts here: the language issue and its an issue, I think, we all have. When all the Indians, Chinese, other races come together, we tend to be drawn together and become inconsiderate for those who are not able to understand us.
In my youth, in 5th grade, I still remember Preshtha, my childhood best friend, and I used to travel back and forth on MRT in Singapore giggling and chuckling about the people around us, especially the quirky ones. Believe you me, even sometimes, when I am surrounded by Hindi speaking people even I get tempted to converse in my native tongue...but now that I have been on the other side of the grass, I have realized that one should atleast try to incorporate and try a universal tongue. If its not possible, then atleast include those who are not from the native. Although this issue sometimes leaves a bad taste in mouth, I realize that I am the guest here. I should be respectful to their expectations etc. However, that is not to say that despite the cultural shock, people are not helpful. The watchman's family, which stays within the compound of the guest house I am in. Despite the language barrier, there is enough communication and affection that they have become a part of my daily family life as well as Beth, who lives upstairs and has become an unofficial housemate:).
However, my question to all is that can we ever look beyond the boundaries, which cause us to stereotype people on the other side and see them as human beings, who are as emotional, humane, and like the rest of us. Perhaps, its an utopian thought but I wonder if India will ever feel reunited instead of the Hindus claiming their past, the South Indians their past, and the Muslims their own past, rather all the numerous races claiming separation from one another. In today's date, do not we all co-exist in the same soil, live together, eat together, and rejoice in all holidays and cry when we all suffer!
I apologize for this emotional bit, it becomes frustrating when one realizes the cultural segration and having experienced it almost everywhere from Malaysia to Singapore to States, its really strange to find it in my homeland as well!
Nidhi:)

No comments:

Post a Comment