Sunday, June 19, 2011

A New Beginning and a brief review of Chalo Dilli

It seems that one can only maintain a blog when there comes a pause or interim in their life. Reading back through the blog I had written two years ago. I feel that I have come a long way from where I stood at the time I was writing and posting entries in 2009. I spent past two years ravenously and hungrily running and pursuing my dream of one day of acquiring a Phd and becoming a professor teaching college students about literature, life, society, and so on.
After two years of rigorous hard work with extra classes, a pending certification, teaching, and applications to colleges of which only one made through, I have realized that perhaps the struggle is more deeper than I had imagined it to be. For the first time, I had to take an extension for my thesis. Something that made me feel slightly inadequate but realized that it was a result of a lot of things - meshing all of my goals together, focusing on acquiring a Ph.D. program, afraid of what the next four-five years might bring - and the list continues and frankly, the remainder is the 20% that I have learned now which one does not have control over. However, I have realized that no matter what happens, one must continue to plough through the rough, dry, arid pieces of life and put their best effort forth.
One of the key things I have learned in the past two years is that my organization has slowed me down. I used to be tightly organized in my high school and undergrad years. No matter what was happening, I was on time early, my assignments were never delayed or late, and I successfully ended my school years. Therefore, this time I learned two key lessons I hope to use in the future - 1) never lose your organizational skills 2) never bite more than you can chew
However, I have realized that this is how one learns about this sort of thing - we make mistake - we try not to do so again even when we feel that the world is going to crash forth, we continue to not give up in our pursuits.
I finally submitted a thesis introduction I can be proud of! :) But in any case, enough about my self!
I want to review and recommend a film starring Vinay Pathak and Lara Dutta. Its a must watch! The film juxtaposes two opposing philosophies together - Vinay Pathak plays a man who despite all the problems in life continues to smile joyfully and with beaming, shiny eyes exclaiming "Koi badhi baat nahi/ What's the big deal?" Lara Dutta plays a sophisticated, investment banker used to comforts and luxuries of life stuck with Pathak in a journey that gets them from Jaipur, Rajasthan to Delhi, India.
Throughout the film, Pathak and Dutta encounter various faces of problems - from gangsters to the fear of snakes to corrupt police officers, however Pathak remains unaffected dealing patiently with each problem and smiling all the way. Dutta at first resists and cries during the difficulties unable to understand why Pathak is so nonchalant about the entire situation.
After watching this movie twice and really pondering about it, I thought of my own situation and career. I have been so hell-bent on my Phd - I have somehow not thought of anything else - in many ways thinking and behaving like Lara - which I think is a good quality in itself because it makes me dedicated to my goals in life. While open to changes, its these goals that have defined my identity and life. I want to champion and encourage students to read literature written in India. I want to make vernacular texts accessible to the disciples of academics - there is so much to be done and so little time! and quite frankly, I want to do it all.
Ay, but there is the rub! Then we have Pathak's character who in all difficulties laughs at the pain, remains cool and calm, and enjoys life. And this is where I get confused? The message of the movie was clear - there are greater problems in life and there is no use sweating over small stuff. I get that! But how do you balance your responsibilities and duties without worrying for them? Perhaps thats the dilemma everyone faces - how do you balance pleasure and responsibilities? How do you balance fun with work? How do you balance pleasure with pain? Where are the boundaries?
I am not sure if there is any answer to this dilemma or it should be resolved.

2 comments:

  1. Hey good writing !!! Can you read hindi ? If so , I have a book for you to read written by my cousin from India . It's called " SHIGAF " . But it's in hindi...

    ReplyDelete