Sunday, May 17, 2009

My early writings (Junior Year of High School so 11th)

I am still waiting reactions for the movie! :) , it is truly a must-watch! Anyhow, those discussion can wait! As for a new movie, I haven't seen a completely new one I guess to due the strikes in the Hindi Film Industry! I did start reading Monica Ali's Bricklane (I was missing London) and probably will finish it in two-three weeks! Times have been changing so fast! One of my childhood(high school) best friends is getting married and soon! :) My another childhood friend was recently engaged! I will be going to Michigan now on the 25th May! We missed the flight due to oversleeping and no alarm waking us up! But somehow, I guess, it's allright! It happens! I am forgiving to fate :P :D nothing else can be done about it! :) Lets see other than life undergoing a string of milestones, I have finally started doing what I loved to do...which was to write and talk! I used to have an account on Xanga! and would design it with photos!
The funniest memory I have is that when Veer Zaara (2004) had come, I had taken its poster and posted it saying "Look at how delusional love is" :)) but I have a come a full circle! I was blogging before/after graduation in 2005 from High School, I continue to return to the same art in 2009, when I have left UCONN forever! The biggest loss I have had is my friends there and professors! Though, I am looking forward to a future in Michigan! Back then, now that I think about it, I would have never thought I would reach the age to gain my Master's Degree. Back then, it was a goal...something which OLDer people did, not me, I was young and silly and naive! But today, I have come across that stage and I cannot look back! There is a line from an old hindi song, which says "musafir hoon yaaron, na ghar hai na thikaana, bas chalte jaana hai" or "I am a travellerl; I have no home or no settlement, I have to keep on walking" I guess until the day I achieve my doctorate degree, I am a traveller taking a journey (an intellectual as well as social one) to achieve my dreams and goals) hahah Now you see why I named my blog that! haha....I have had no time to look at current events! The best news though is that Manmohan Singh is still the PM of India!
The rest I spent yesterday watching a two-hour special segment on "In The Womb". It focused on Lime Shark, Wasp, Penguins, and Kangaroo! Did you know that shark embroyos feed on the remaining infertilized eggs to nourish themselves while they are developing?" Nature has a solution for everything! or that Wasps use a caterpillar as a surrogate mother for them! and and and the cutest and adorable one, when Kangaroos are fully developed and have just 12 weeks left in their mom's sack, they come and go out of it briefly before they are left indepedent, and the best one! Penguins are nurtured by both parents. Unlike the mothers, it is fathers who walk around with the egg till their wives go and get more food! and in the Antartic, when it is harsh cold weather, they huddle together taking turns for warmth! AMAZING Nature! Now, not to be sarcastic, but but but why don't the most intelligent and knowlegable creation whether by God or destiny use the same instinct to be with the remaining human beings!
Not to say we don't, we do! and and like in the movies, did you know male kangaroos box each other to vie the love for their women! It was adorable! But, what makes us different from them is that while many of these youngs come out indepedent and safe, us human beings are born vulnerable! Speaking of which, the image I get is of The Slumdog Millionaire, the movie which caused commotion throughout, agreed it's reality the suffering etc! But, watch Swades (2004) starring Shah rukh Khan and see the same suffering in a more hopeful light! I know I know there is a huge craze generated by this movie and it does depict reality, then why does Yahoo news! publish how the slum kids who STARRED in the movie are left alone without a house, being taken advantage of, why their complaining that promises they made has been left unfulfilled by the director! And now I leave you with my writing called The Struggle! I don't remember when I wrote it but definitely when I was 18 or so:

The Struggle

Transcended from the sky I arrived,

And now, I am lost.

I am spirit floating amidst life

Ready to land in a mystical forest,

I know, for it is not a compromise,

That I will struggle,

I will be suspended in a hellistic atmosphere,

Where vines will become shackles,

They will keep me from freedom,

But, the harder they grasp, the stronger I will become,

Then, one day, out of the blue,

My strength will be optimized

And with all the pull I have,

I will escape, not like a criminal,

BUT like a bird adorned with liberation

And I will find, my salvation

My nirvana

And YOU will be there…

~Nidhi Shrivastava

Chapter 1

“It’s been years since my son, Alex came into my life. Then, I was just at the tender age of sixteen when I was handed by the nurse this small miracle.” Lisa was talking to her nurse at the Juno’s Old Age Home. Her excitement had arisen since Alex, now forty- eight years old, was coming to take her home.

Lisa had grown in the fifties when the society reluctantly accepted teenage pregnancies while her family itself had disowned her. All her life she had created an image of herself as a perfect daughter, her family had venerated her presence. She was at the epitome of her success in life in her senior year when she had been accepted to go to the college of her dreams – Yale University. It was not a surprise her excitement had overpowered her judgments ever since she received the acceptance letter that allowed her a pass into her dream college.

The day had been blessed as she had been sleeping after slaving away for hours on a project that she had fruitfully prepared with her friends for her sociology class. It was six-thirty in the morning and her mum woke up from her side of the bed dressed in pinkish-silk gown. Her mother was at the prime of her life almost completing half-a-century. She had worked hard all her life to raise her daughter while her husband had been with the army to the war in Japan during the 1940s. It was not a surprise that she was over-protective of her family. Her isolation alone in the states worked towards building her independence as a single mother while she tried to make a stand for herself in an unknown land. It had only been a few months since they had arrived in the New York City upon Luis IIV from Britain. She had escaped the world war but her husband was unable to free himself from duties of the war.

Lisa, herself, had grown to the age of sixteen. She was a bright child who had gotten used to the American culture during her growth as a descendant from Britain. Unlike her mother, who was unable to receive the sweets of education, she blossomed in a world where she was humbly accepted by the society.

Her life had been the most successful. Her parents were proud of her achievements as he was labeled the valedictorian of her class and praised by each and every one of her teachers. Nikita, her best friend, was always supportive of her decisions and like typical teenage girls their interests were – grades, boys, clothes, and mall. They were known to being the best friends that every one wanted to have. Both were honest to each other and always well wished each other on each achievement until one night.

May 10, 1956 – the day that would change Lisa forever. It was also the night of her prom. Her date, Jake, was one of the jocks that she had recently started dating and was well in love to realise his real character behind the hundred-watt smile he carried with him. The day itself was the highlight of the lives of many high school juniors. Lisa was excited, she had done more than enough to deserve a night as such as this, but she was unaware that she would regret this date in the upcoming days of her life. Jake arrived adorned with a tux rented from a nearby suit store. He looked like Humphrey Bogart with his handsome features being in effect with the corsage he had had for her. Lisa, on the other hand, looked like a princess dressed in a silver-grayish gown with small spaghetti straps.

“Wow,” said Jake astounded at the beautiful creature that stood amongst her family, “Lisa, you look like an angel descended from heaven.”

“Do I really?” Lisa smiled teasing her current beau.

“No, seriously,” he remarked, “you look like a fairy without the wings.”

While they were conversing, her dad reminded them to leave. She was amazed at the size of the limo that he had rented for her. It was then she contently sighed and knew in her heart that it was going to be the night of her life.

Lisa twirled around with Jake and danced like she had never danced before. It was only the couple till he left to get a punch for her. She was unaware that he had had a bad reputation in school and had a trusting temperament.

“Here you go, Lees”, said Jake giving her the glass of crimson-red liquid

“Thank you,” said Lisa as she took the glass from his hands giving him a smile sweeter than chocolate.

He took her into his arms and both danced to a slow song losing them selves in this process.

“Oh Jake! This night is so romantic,” she said coyly recalling the way he had asked her to the prom. This was only their fourth date and he had been promising to her.

“Hmm…” hummed Jake slowly trying to move his body to the tune of the band.

“Jake,” stressed Lisa louder this time, “Are you listening?”

“Lisa darling, of course I am,” he said agitatedly

“You’re really acting strange today,” she remarked herself getting curious – pearl-like sweat was dropping down his forehead and this made her further interested in his behavior.

She decided to further their conversation while dancing to the tunes. “So have you decided on the college that you are going to?” Lisa said as she looked at the other couples dancing to the band.

“I am still quite unsure, love”, he replied distracted

The word “love” hit her like a knife – “what was he thinking?” though Lisa to herself. He had held her close all through the dance that she felt like breaking away from the grips after a while.

“Lees, you want to go to the after-prom party?” he proposed

“Jake,” she said reluctantly, “I have to get ready tomorrow to visit Yale.”

“Come on”, he coaxed, “it will be the best time we will have”

“Let me think for a while, Jake”, she said unsure of the excuses to make, “lets sit down. I am getting exhausted. If we dance some more, I will fall here right now.”

He snickered and gave her a look that she could not have forgotten even if she was blind.

“Don’t give me that look, Mr. Robertson”, she teased

“What look?” he said curious at her accusation, “I ain’t giving ya any look, ma’am” he said trying to imitate Andy Griffith from the classic show.

Both of them laughed at his imitation and sat down for a while talking to each other about television programs like I Love Lucy, future plans, and dreams.

The prom eventually did come to an end leaving the school gymnasium a torture to clean for the next day.

Lisa and Jake were one of the last couples to leave the ceremony and stayed later than they had expected.

“Phew,” said Lisa seated in the car smiling as he walked towards the driver’s seat, “I had the best time of the life. Thank you so much, Jake.” She pecked him on the cheek.

Soon the car was heated and she ended up doing something that she would have never even thought of doing so soon!

---



5 comments:

  1. the +ve human instinct is more of possessiveness & caring/protection for the ones they r possessive about n from herein stems all the negative aspects of human nature too. Due to the added gift/curse of intelligence humans have made a set of rules to protect themselves from their instinctive behaviours, but here lie the conflicts of heart/mind, the right thing/smart thing :)
    The human instinct is no different than what the other animals have been given...we just have an additional ability to go beyond our survival instincts, but only when we do reach that basic level in life, not many do.
    We ARE very good to whosoever we are good to & turn into vile creatures for some...isnt it so, atleast mostly?


    n ohh keep the chapters of the story coming :) is this one of the story u mentioned earlier?
    Couldnt stop recalling the movie Juno (n the similar theme), when I saw the name of the old age home. The world is full of coincidences :)


    n enjoy the extra week@home ;-)
    were u hoping to miss the flight? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, this was the only chapter I wrote for this! This was written way back in 11th grade so its been a while. Yes, the human nature where we are so selective and forget all human beings may not think alike, but have almost the same issues if one really thinks about it!
    I will try to post other writings and poems, which I have written a long time ago! :) Which is why I loved Rakesh Sharma's movie! As it showed the extent to which hatred can breed in us! But, if one wants to philosophize the intricacies of just these things...violence, love, God, etc, there really is no solution at the end of the day. Maybe today we sit around and discuss these things, but who knows what will happen, after our lives have ended, will future generation be the same? Are we different from people of the 18th century? or the 5th B.C.? I will continue this in the next post! as I can go on and on about these things! Thank you for reading! :) and loved the answer on the human nature and animal instict! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. yet to see that movie, the link u posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. >> violence, love, God, etc, there really is no solution at the end of the day

    No solution, just entropy at play (physics)! :-p
    The entropy in the universe keeps on increasing. Humans are a good medium to accelerate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the movie is worth a look! hahah maybe or maybe its all in our imagination! and all we are living is a dreammmmmmmm:P hehe

    ReplyDelete